It's the time of year I always hate... organizing my closet for new weather. It's time to say "buh-bye" to your turtle necks, chunky sweaters, winter jackets and wool hats. Time to break out the short shorts, tanks, sun dresses and flip flops. I need an entire weekend for this transition. I turn on my ipod, pack up everything and store it in my hall closet. I take out the new Spring/Summer clothes and organize them into the main closet.
Here are a few tips!
1. Don't try this in one day. I hate seeing a mess especially in my apartment so seeing clothes all over urks me, but I also will get too overwhelmed if I try to do this all in one day. Pace yourself. Do some on Saturday and more on Sunday.
2. Take the opportunity to really evaluate your clothes. Ask yourself ... "will i really wear this shirt next winter?" if the answer is no, then set it aside. Make a pile that can you can donate to a shelter or good will store. I have stuff with tags on it that i've seen every year, I have to start telling myself at a certain point "you are never going to wear this dress, get rid of it."
3. Check out The Container Store. They are having a Spring organization sale right now.
My favorite item are the shoe boxes at $1.49 a piece these boxes help organize your shoes perfectly. Each shoe gets its own box. This is perfect for me because I'm always throwing shoes in my closet and losing them in a mountain of other shoes.
4. Make sure you keep your closet smelling wonderful by using products like Damp Rid
or try the Bubble Bee Scentportable's by Bath and Body Works. Spread high-quality scents into all the spaces of your life, without a plug, battery or flame. The built-in clip base allows SCENTPORTABLE to hang, sit or rest on virtually any surface. You can sit this on top of a closet shelf and it will leave your closet smelling like heaven.
5. Figure out while cleaning if you are missing any "must have" items for this Spring/Summer. If you seem to have enough pairs of jean shorts, don't bother buying anymore this year - you are most likely good to go. Focus on buying something else that can add on to your wardrobe, something different. Some must have items this Spring/Summer are: Jumpers/Playsuits, check out these cute ones by ASOS.com. The one I am wearing in the photo below is also from ASOS.
Also in this Spring/Summer are patterned and Printed Pants and Dresses. Have you checked out H&M's Garden Collection? It's fantastic. I especially love a few of the dresses.
New Favorite Songs To Clean To
(click song title to listen)
1. "Winner" Jamie Foxx Feat. Justin Timberake & T.I
2. "Sponsor" Teairra Marie Feat. Solider boy
3. "OMG" Usher Feat Will.I.AM
4. "Hold Yuh"Gyptian
5. "Un-thinkable" Alicia Keys
6. "Here I Am" Monica
7. "Love King" The Dream
8. "Imma Be" Black Eyed Peas
9. "Nothin On You" B.O.B featuring Bruno Mars
10. "All I Want Is You" Miguel feat. J Cole
Did you know cleaning is also a great way to burn calories? I burned about 815 cleaning my closest yesterday.